Thursday, May 19, 2011

Myths, misinformation, and disinformation....

Ok, first things first: a girlfriend of my best trans friend messaged me last night at quarter past 10 pm urging me to find her boyfriend and ensure that he's fine because he was just beaten black and blue by her mother who had put her under home arrest since July 2010 when their relationship was discovered. We spent the next 4 hours going to two police stations and filing the report of the attack, the first of which had promised that LGBT people could go and file the first instance reports with them in hate attack incidents. Although I invoked the words of the Deputy Head to the sergeant on duty, my friend and I were simply turned away from the doors at 11pm "Go and file the case where you were attacked." 

Long story short: the first instance report was eventually filed last night. Aside from the fact that I just could not sleep well after getting back well after 2am, with my last and first waking thoughts of his safety as the scene kept replaying in my head: the mother lunging at him with a knife. Had it not been for the girlfriend who threw herself sreeching at her mother and wrestled the knife away, he would've been dead. Or near dead. I never saw him lose it, but I saw him breaking down yesterday for the first time... Well, he's the friend I am starting on my transition journey, he's my brother, he means quite a lot to me, and it was scary to see things spiral out of control like that yesterday...  

Now onto the point: myths, misinformation and disinformation. This past one month I had witnessed first hand four people accuse one lesbian couple, one couple where one of the parties is an FTM and the other party is a ciswoman (the above couple) of spreading HIV/AIDS. This disinformation and misinformation is of such magnitutde that I am sitting here speechless. What left my jaws gapping even further was that one of the accusers who sat calmly next to me and said that "HIV comes from the constant joining of two female cells, or two male cells" was a nurse, albeit a retired nurse, but who had been practising around the time of the HIV advent in the world and Mongolia. Another nurse said to a young gay boy "Homos are people who work out female hormones one month and male hormone the next". I mean, really, come on, can the society be so ignorant so as to not know that the sort of sex lesbians and FTMs in Mongolia have are actually the safest forms of sex?! And really, at the end of the day, the reality and truth would not matter to someone who had decided that we really do spread HIV. Although it would not be, and never was, the truth, they would be acting on their perceptions. Time to disspel myths. Time to educate yourselves, people. Time to end violence on the basis of real or perceived sexual orientation and gender identity or health status. 

put on a face

put on a face                      a brave face, a dead face put on a face and go. put on a face                       a kind face, a br...