Wednesday, June 3, 2015

За юу гэж бодож байна?


Иймэрхүү зүйл ЛГБТ хүмүүсийн өмнөөс хэлвэл хүмүүст хүрэх үү? 

 
My name is Anaraa Nyamdorj, and I am speaking today in front of you on behalf of LGBT people in Mongolia. As I am facing you, you see that I am alive, that I breathe, that I feel. What you don’t see, but can guess, is that I also love, hurt, feel cold and hot. You see a fellow human being. Yet, to the Government of Mongolia, I am less than that: to the Government of Mongolia, my life is valueless, my reality is inexistent except, of course, when I must pay my taxes. I believe my taxes contribute to salaries of civil servants who deliver education, healthcare, public safety, law enforcement and other vital public goods. Yet, I am harmed by the very people whose job it is to protect me from any undue harm.

When I, a lesbian, or a gay, or a bisexual, or a trans person, go to my family clinic, the intake form shouts that people like me do not exist. My daily varied medical needs are not seen as valid or specific, and therefore I do not receive the treatment and care that I need.   

When I, a lesbian, or a gay, or a bisexual, or a trans person, go to an education institution, a school or a university, I don’t see my daily reality in any school textbooks, any university curricula. Plus I am made fun of by both my classmates and teachers who call me names because of how I am, and worse: I get verbally and physically assaulted every other day. I often drop out of school or university because I can’t bear to face the hostile environment day after day. Or I often try to commit a suicide rather than face discrimination every day.

When I, a lesbian, or a gay, or a bisexual, or a trans person, go to work, I dread my colleagues. My colleagues taunt me, ask me inappropriate questions, boldly underline both Mr and Ms in my various invitations, I am assaulted verbally and physically by my supervisors. I often quit my job to maintain my sanity. Or I am fired, let go off. Often.

When I, a lesbian, or a gay, or a bisexual, or a trans person, fall in love, my love, my deepest human emotion is seen as invalid, inexistent, or even inhuman. My desire to wear a wedding band that publicly declares my life-long commitment to my same-sex partner is seen as superfluous.

When our children who are being lovingly brought up in a happy family by a same-sex couple go to a kindergarten, they don’t see themselves. They go to a kindergarten and come home tearful, tearful about the fact that their teacher said our family was not a family; that our family didn’t exist.

When I am attacked on the street for being who I am and for daring to express who I am, a lesbian, or a gay, or a bisexual, or a trans person, I do not approach the police seeking justice. In fact, I fear police because they did and will continue to harm me by their derogatory attitudes, words and gestures in relation to my sexual orientation or my gender identity and expression. Sometimes I am even beaten up by the police for simply asking questions.  

On a daily basis, I am harmed by discrimination. By invisibility. By forced silence about who I am and what I need. I am harmed by discrimination that impedes my inability to enjoy all my other rights. Discrimination pervades all areas of my life, and I am dehumanised, my life experiences are considered invalid. I am calling on you as fellow human beings to please help the government of Mongolia realise that every life is important, that every human is valuable beyond their taxpaying capacity, that everyone is equal so that finally the spirit of all international human rights jurisprudence that protects rights and dignity of every human being regardless of any distinction is realised in Mongolia.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Бусдын эрхэд халдсан утга агуулга бүхий комментуудыг хэвлэхгүй болно.

put on a face

put on a face                      a brave face, a dead face put on a face and go. put on a face                       a kind face, a br...